Thursday, May 13, 2010

inside joke

I'm listening to a CD of a concert that my college choir (or, more accurately, a recent roster thereof), produced. My college conductor always was and still is a character. And this is a live recording. I just laughed out loud at my desk as one of the tracks started up, and he is shouting the the audience, "Sorry about the wrong numbers... I have no idea how that happened, it's 245!" I actually laughed at loud at my desk when that gem blared out in between the otherwise serene choral works. I'm so glad this moment was captured on CD.

It's up there with the recording in which, during an especially dramatic pause in the Brahms Requiem, he was so wrapped up in conducting that he dropped his glasses and nearly tipped over his music stand, so instead of a pregnant pause, there is a very brief pause with a click (the glasses hitting the floor), and a scuffle (my conductor fighting to keep his music stand upright). You wouldn't know what the sounds were, if you weren't there, but that just means that even in the midst of a heartfelt performance of a wrenching piece about death and loss, there can be secret hilarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment