Monday, May 10, 2010

ration

Good books are uncommon, but books that are so well-crafted that you are torn between reading slowly to savor every word or tearing ahead to devour the book in huge gulps are exquisitely rare. When I was younger, I almost always took the second option, perhaps naively believing that there would be many more perfect books to come. Now, when I come across such a book, I try to take a more measured pace, sifting through it more slowly and re-reading a line here, a page there, in order to bask in the book for as long as possible. The pleasure is more muted, but it lasts longer, and I can always devour it if I decide to re-read the whole thing later.

2 comments:

  1. Haha I'm generally the opposite - devour on first reading (or first viewing, for a movie), then pick apart on each subsequent read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I should clarify - it's rare that I'll read a book twice. But for those that I have, I do it as stated above.

    ReplyDelete