Tuesday, May 31, 2011

zrh cont'd

So much good stuff happened while we were in Zurich that it warrants bullet points:
  • Sausages just aren't the same in the U.S.
  • Also, we went to a restaurant, and they made these röstitätschlis that were ridiculously good (think hash brown dumplings filled with herbed sour cream, giving the effect of deep-fried baked potatoes).
  • And in the microkitchens in the office there, they had these snacks that were like banana marshmallows dipped in chocolate.
  • The weather was for the most part amazing. The summer that we're supposed to be having in California seems to have gotten lost and gone to Switzerland, instead.
  • Caught up with lots of friends (several of whom were generous enough to deal with house guests, so that I didn't have to get a hotel for the eleven nights I was there).
  • Went to my favorite bar in the world. Twice.
  • Put one of my old friends in touch with one of my new colleagues at work, and I think they're going to be tennis buddies. I love helping people make new friends.
  • I mentioned to a Swiss friend that I love the elderflower syrup that is common in Switzerland (add fizzy water to make an amazing soda -- I had already bought two bottles from the store), and he said that he makes his own from scratch, and then he gave me a bottle!
  • The place where my friends had their reception was gorgeous. They credited me with finding it, but I had just given them a magazine when they got engaged last year that listed ten great places to have a party in Switzerland. I'm glad they took a look and picked it, because it was amazing.
  • I bought about 30 pounds of my favorite gummy candy (from the store that was just under my old apartment). Love that place. Boyfriend bought about 25 pounds. We're set for a little while.
  • Also bought some chocolate, including some cool flavors, like Earl Grey and lavender.
  • Managed to stay awake the whole (direct) plane flight back, and for the rest of the evening, so that I slept on the correct schedule last night. There is a chance that I might not get jet lag.
Good times, love it every time I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment