Sunday, January 29, 2017

airport

Spent five hours at the airport protesting the Muslim ban, and despite my usual reluctance to leave the house, wear real pants, drive long distances, and deal with large crowds, it was worth it to see the hundreds and hundreds of people there, including friends, former co-workers, and family. Like many (so many) other lawyers there, I wore a tag and carried a sign identifying myself as a lawyer, in case any families or protestors needed help, I walked along the barricades to let the police know they were being watched, and I explained legal issues and spread status updates on detainees. I've never had so many people thank me and tell me they appreciate my work. It almost makes me proud to be a lawyer, and it definitely makes me proud to be an American. This is what my America looks like -- a mass of diverse people demanding that everyone else get a fair chance, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment