Wednesday, July 29, 2015

going native

I've been trying out a life coach, just to see what all the California hoo-ha is about. Despite the cringe factor, it has proven to be quite useful for an overachieving procrastinator, because she sets tangible tasks and deadlines, including all of the following...
  • reading books on meditation and mindfulness (one very hippie one that she assigned, and one more scientific one that I picked, both of which have been interesting)
  • trying out meditation (formal meditation always seemed long and uncomfortable, but short ones have been good so far, and yes, there's an app for that)
  • finding multisensory cues (she pointed out that I focus on written word a lot, so I'm working on smells, pictures, and sounds that remind me of my happy place)
  • taking step one to New York (if this pipe dream is going to happen, first I have to test Henry on a plane, which is happening in two weeks)
  • spending more and better time with people (sometimes you have to just schedule things and assign tasks to people so that you see people but there is still an element that you're not responsible for and which can still surprise you)
  • taking better care of myself (more water, fruits, and vegetables)
So I'm not sure it's going to be a total revolution, but iteration and improvement are good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment